Having a positive attitude and thinking at work will reflect on what you do and make you a more productive employee. This mindset can determine how well you get your projects done and how others perceive you. If you display a positive attitude, you may increase your chances for a promotion or a raise if you are a positive role model for others within your department at work.
Your attitude is a form of expression of yourself. You can choose to be happy, uplifting, and optimistic, or you can be pessimistic and critical with a negative outlook on your workday. There are signs of a positive attitude, which are identified by employers and management, who look for leaders in a group or those to whom they want to give projects. Employers often recognize those employees who are committed to volunteering some of their extra time and are appreciative, enthusiastic, kind, and willing to help others and work overtime with a positive attitude. You can expect to see benefits when you begin to display a positive attitude at work. If you must make a presentation or share a project speech with others in your department, keep your attitude upbeat and hopeful for a positive outcome. It can be trying for you to have an uplifting attitude in the workplace when the atmosphere in the workplace is negative or other employees are unhappy.
Here are a few ways to act more mature in your daily work life.
- Do not overreact. Overreacting can be annoying in most cases. When you hear, see, or feel something that gets to you, stop and think about what you’re about to say and do before actually saying or doing it. Otherwise, it will turn out badly.
- Don’t argue over insignificant subjects like “well, you called me this, and I didn’t like that” or “well, you always do this, and it’s annoying” because that’s annoying. Simply ask, “what’s wrong?” or “what happened?”
- Be sincere. Nobody likes it when they are telling you something, confiding in you, and you are not paying attention. If you ask a question, listen to the whole answer.
- Reflect on your actions. Did I handle that right, could I have done something differently?
- Do not think that you are the center of the universe. Everybody focuses on themselves; they are their priority, like you are yours.
- Be confident, but not overconfident. Even if you are insecure or unsure, act like you are. Fake it till you make it!
- Don’t obsess about what other people say or think about you. Be yourself. You are a great individual just the way you are.
Having a great attitude at work can benefit you and your company. It may be hard some days, but the more you practice having a positive attitude, the more it will pay off.
If you would like more information on Mature Thinking, contact Abacus CPAs at 417-823-7171 or www.abacuscpas.com. Better Guidance. Smarter Decisions.